Friday, October 16, 2020

Modernizing the Stereo, Part 6 - Almost Done!

While doing a decent job (if I may say so myself) on the rear speakers and deck,  the Alpine X series component speakers finally arrived (thank you WoofersEtc!), meaning that in reality, I was jumping back between these two jobs. For clarity of process I've posted the tasks separately to avoid confusion. 

So here are the Alpines - to say I was really looking forward to hearing them in action is an understatement!

Securely surrounded by styrofoam:

I unwrapped the a tweeter and crossover first:

You can see the grills but also the zip ties (to secure the crossovers, if you choose to run passive) along with some screws and double stick stickers (to mount the tweeters).

And then took a close look at the woofer:

Always surprises me how compact the magnets are compared to the Morels I removed earlier:

Anyway I went ahead and started prepping the doors to receive the new speakers.  As you may recall, I had, during my install of the two sets of speaker wires, taken pains to make sure the tweeter wires differed from those for the woofer.
Blue and silver tweeter wiring

Passenger side door too - these are the speaker spaces I had previously purchased a few years ago from the same Yahoo Auctions guy that did the rear speaker spacers:

Now comes the fun part. In the Audio Technica door dampening kit, were a couple of products I hadn't tried before.

First, these foam "clip dampers" which are designed to be placed over the holes into which the plastic clip connectors fit in, for the purpose of reducing any sound leakage and squeaking from the clips.

Then, these "sound proofing wave" foam strips (with adhesive side) that are designed to go around the outline of the door, providing a solid foam barrier between the door panel and the metal frame.

These are attached as such, along the edge of the door:

Meanwhile the clip dampers as follows (see green arrows):


When finished I had added the arrowed portions to the door (the existing dampening was either what I had done a long time or what had been added by Worx - heck if it works I'll keep it...):

So the woofers were going to be straightfoward. The tweeters on the other hand...

I had to carefully pull off some of the dampening material, but with all the old adhesive, decided to first wrap some protective sheathing around the tweeter wires.


And then simply funnel these tweeters leads so they ended up inside the door behind where the woofer speakers would be (and where the blue and silver wiring for the tweeters ended).

As for tweeter location, I did not want to touch the Alcantara lined A pillars by Robson (absolutely perfect) nor did I want to cut up my leather dash or leather covered door panels.  That left only one real option - the sail panels (the black plastic that covers the area where the green arrow is pointing).


I'm not experienced enough to take the tweeter apart and create something more flush (although when I undid the back, I found a nice quantity of acoustic wadding behind the tweeter magnet, likely used to dampen the back wave - so I am guessing these sound the best in this unadultered form), so for now I followed the instructions and attached the tweeters to a pair of spare sail panels I had. (Photos taken after I re-attached the door panel):



Lastly, although I was forced to run new wiring into the door (because Worx had removed the OEM speaker harness), I had to solder on these connectors to the wires (including the wiring coming from the Alpine tweeters - so 3 pairs on each side!)- just in case in the future I change my speakers.

Now just need to find some more projects....

 After installing the front speakers, and before I sealed up the rear seat area, I made sure to test to make sure the amp works - the blue LEDs are a definite bonus, although I will never see them in action!

Then I sealed it up (you can see that I had finished installing the rear deck speakers):

And then it was matter of putting it all back together (the seat was last):

Same in the trunk - making sure all the wiring is tight and in place:

Before I sealed up the trunk access however I tested the speaker polarity and found the front woofers were showing reverse polarity for some reason:

This was quickly rectified by reversing the speaker leads at the amp.  Then I installed the bracing:

And then the trunk lining (yes need to get it fixed looks weird):

Then it was matter of putting the stereo back in, making sure the carpet was as flat as possible and then bolting the seats in.  Everything works! Except now the best is yet to come...

2 comments:

Jason: said...

Complete unrelated but I just picked up a R33 and love going thru your blog!

Aki said...

Thanks Jason! Congrats on picking up a 33, let us know how it's going and what the spec is!